Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter weekend


Well, Easter weekend is over. Phew! What a busy, fun, stressful, exciting time we had. It all got crazy when I got a call Thursday night at 9 pm asking if I would speak in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday with the new Primary Presidency. Yikes. I am one of those people who likes a little time to prepare, at least mentally. Give me a manual and I am fine. I don't really enjoy speaking. I think it goes back to when I was 16 years old. I lived in Naperville, IL and went to early morning seminary. One Sunday we walked into church a few minutes late and I see my seminary teacher on the stand waving me up. I was giving a talk. I had completely forgotten! I went up on the stand and glanced through my scriptures for something to say. It all worked out ok but now everytime I am asked to speak I flash back to this experience and feel the anxiety all over again. Anyway, I was so busy Friday and Saturday that the last thing I had time for was preparing a talk for Sunday. I called my Dad and he helped me put my thoughts into a quick outline. When I finally gave the talk I didn't even look at the notes. I just spoke. Wow. It actually went a lot better than I expected. Maybe it is good to not have too much time to prepare. I only worried for two days instead of two weeks.

I also didn't get around to buying Easter clothes for my kids until late. My generous Mom (thank you Mom!) had offered to buy them new Easter clothes. I didn't get to the mall until Friday night. I did find really cute outfits for all of them at the Children's Place. The only problem was that it is really hard to find pants for Tanielu. He wears a size six or seven but isn't that tall. So, I ended up heming his pants. No problem right? Well, Saturday I realize I don't have any thread that matches. I finally borrow some and Sunday morning I am determined to do a good job. I pin and measure and iron. I get it all ready and I realize I pinned the hem up not in. I had forgotten to turn the pants inside out. Oops. I guess that is what you get when you are in a hurry. At least I didn't sew them yet. Anna loved her dress, her curly hair and her "high heels" (they were only about an inch). Owen was quite pleased with his nice looking clothes and proudly showed them off. Tanielu said "Mom, I don't like this jacket" referring to his sweater and stomped around not pleased at all. I think my kids ended up looking really nice. What do you think?

Saturday evening we colored eggs. My kids love to do this and there was no way we weren't going to include it this year. I think maybe Rod likes it the best and came up with some interesting designs including an "Uncle Wes" egg. Owen's eggs were real masterpieces.

Sunday afternoon we had a bunch of family over for dinner and a party. We had a yummy dinner of chicken salad croissants with a vegi plate, "Tani potatoes", Rod's famous chips and salsa and a fruit masterpiece made by our brother-in-law Jefferson. After dinner we had a big Easter egg hunt in the backyard. All together we hid about 500 plastic and real eggs in the yard. (We went a little overboard.) The kids had a blast looking for them! Grandpa Bergeson and Nonna even took the time to teach William the art of hunting for eggs. I had put a little white horse in one egg and whoever found that egg would get a special prize. Well, it turned out pretty funny. When they were hiding the eggs Rod's sister Stacie put one on top of the fence that rolled over to the other side. You guessed it. When we were all done, noone had found the little horse. It couldn't be the one Stacie had lost could it? The odds were about 1 in 500. Jefferson went out and hopped the fence but the egg had fallen in between two fences. He dug under and sure enough that was the egg with the horse! He got the prize and Stacie got the horse. (Pretty funny because on Saturday Stacie had "accidentally" bought a horse at a horse auction. Ask her about it.) The kids all ended up with bags of candy and money (thanks to Rod's money jars). I was absolutely exhausted but it was a really fun weekend. I am just glad it's over!

4 comments:

Photo Amy said...

Your weekend sounds as exhausting as mine was. But a lot of fun too! Your kids look darling. I always love Easter Sunday clothes.

Jessie said...

Holiday's are so exhausting for mom's I think.
I was out at like midnight Saturday night grocery shopping.....
Looks like you had a great Easter though and your kids look adorable.

ZB said...

Your kids clothes were darling. Thanks for having us all over. It's so fun to be together as a family. Can I just copy this and post it to my blog....? Wouldn't it be nice...

6 P's in a Pod said...

Cute, cute Easter clothes!! Believe it or not, my kids went in their Easter clothes from last year. Poor, poor Pinegar kids...