Thursday, March 20, 2008
New Callings
Sunday morning we were asked to come in and meet with the Bishop. Rod and I were both baffled because we each have new callings (Rod as a Primary teacher and me as an achievement days leader). We arrive at the church a few minutes late (Sunday mornings with four kids are ridiculous) and the Bishop asks to meet with us alone for a few minutes. We go into his office making nervous small talk. The Bishop then asks: "how are you two doing?" and gives us a serious stare down. He looks hard at Rod. Then at me. "How is your family? How is work?" all the time giving us long stares. Rod starts to sweat. I am nervous too. What has he heard? I have never had a Bishop do this to me before. I felt like a little kid getting in trouble with my Dad. What did I do wrong? After a few questions and some nervous answers he smiles and says: "Good. I'll go get my counselors." He then proceeds to call Rod to be the choir pianist. (Rod is really excited about this calling. I am always bugging him about "hiding his light under a bushel". I think this will be a good way for him to share his talent.) I think we are done with our meeting. Then the Bishop says: "Now to really rock your Sundays" and calls me to be the first counselor in the Primary Presidency. This is no small job in our ward. We have 164 children plus about 30 in the nursery. I accepted but I am feeling more than a bit overwhelmed. I haven't realized all that they (and now me) are responsible for. Scouts, baptisms, achievement days, quarterly activities, Sacrament meeting program, regular Sunday meetings, etc. I am hoping to learn quickly how to be successful in this calling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow Paula you will have your hands full for sure...You will be great in there though.
I didn't even know Rod played I don't think. Very cool.
I heard about your new callings through Mom and Dad while they were hear. Good Luck! Primary sounds fun despite the hard work. I have yet to have a primary calling...besides Nursery.
I love how you told how you got your callings. I say, "Right on!" You will both be great.
Post a Comment